Universities and colleges
The Rhenish-Westphalian Technical University of Aachen was founded in 1870 as the “Royal Rhenish-Westphalian Polytechnic School”. The educational institution is impressive in terms of architecture alone with its Renaissance main building on the Templergraben, which was built by the city master builder Robert Cremer. Due to the close proximity to the university, the students usually meet in Aachen’s Westpark during breaks and free periods. According to homosociety, Aachen is a city located in Germany bordering with Belgium and the Netherlands.
After a long construction period, the University Hospital was built in 1985 in Aachen, which combines teaching, research and health care. In addition to the actual purpose, the building is particularly impressive because of its impressive, sometimes bizarre-looking architecture, which can be compared to that of the Center Pompidou in Paris. The elevator shafts, for example, are arched outwards, as are the ventilation ducts. The interior is characterized by glistening green, silver and yellow tones as well as heating and ventilation systems, etc., almost all of which run through the rooms to the outside. There are currently around 70 “full” professors, 1,300 scientific and 5,000 non-scientific employees working at the clinic. These are spread over 33 clinics and 21 institutes.
The cathedral of Aachen was completed in the year 800 and has been the symbol of the city ever since. This is the coronation church of the German kings and at the same time the burial place of Charlemagne (748 – 814), the most famous representative of the Carolingian dynasty. He was the grandson of Karl Martell, who in 732 near Poitiers and Tours in France was able to repel the Moors pushing from the Iberian Peninsula into the Franconian Empire. From 768 Charles was king of the Franks and was in the year 800 in Rome by Pope Leo III.crowned Roman emperor. In 814 he died in Aachen, where he had also spent a large part of the last two decades of his life. The Aachen Cathedral, which was actually built as a palatine chapel for Karl, is the most important point of attraction that the city has to offer because of its historical character and its connection with the great emperor. In addition to its immense importance, the sacred building impresses with its impressive architecture and rich interior design.
Important aspects of the cathedral that you should definitely pay attention to when visiting:
The choir hall
The Gothic extension of the choir hall dates from 1414 and has 27 meter high windows. Around 1,000 m² of glass area can be viewed here. In the choir hall there is also the:
The golden shrine dates from 1215 and is located in the choir hall. It is said to contain the bones of the great emperor.
Shrine of Mary The shrine, constructed in 1239, stands behind the altar. In it lie the four Aachen sanctuaries, which are composed of the alleged diaper and loincloth of Jesus Christ as well as the decapitation cloth of John the Baptist and the robe of Mary. They are shown to pilgrims from all over the world every seven years. The last one took place in 2000, so the next one will take place in 2007.
The marble throne
The throne stands in the west of the cathedral and was most likely erected on the occasion of Otto I’s coronation. In its history it served 31 rulers until 1531 (including Otto I) as the place of their coronation as German king.
The Palatine Chapel
This is the oldest part of the cathedral. The instructions to build this chapel were given by Charlemagne himself. He was inspired by the Eastern Roman imperial churches.
The marble sarcophagus has been on display since the 14th century. Charlemagne was probably buried in it.
The most important church treasure north of the Alps is here. These include, for example, the Lothar cross and the silver-gold bust of Charlemagne from the 14th century. In 1978, both the Aachen Cathedral and the Cathedral Treasury were the first German monuments to be placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
This approximately 300 year old Catholic parish church is located in the Aachen-Burtscheid district and once functioned as an abbey church. Since 1806 it has been the second parish church in Burtscheid. In 1881 a baptistery was added, it was redesigned in color between 1888 and 1892 and has been an important example of interior architectural beauty ever since. Badly damaged in World War II, the church was rebuilt from 1947 to 1951. In addition to its inner elegance, the church impresses above all with the abbey treasury, which contains treasures, some of which are up to 1,000 years old. Below are Greek double crosses and a Byzantine icon.
The second Catholic parish church in Aachen is the Church of St. Michael. Like St. Johann, it is also located in the Aachen-Burtscheid district. It was first mentioned in 1252, although construction began as early as 1215. Rebuilt several times, the church was severely damaged during the Second World War, with most of the baroque interior furnishings being destroyed by fire. The reconstruction work dragged on until 1999, but was finally completed that year with the purchase of a new organ. The church has a 49 meter high tower that was completed in 1974.