In the eastern part of the republic is the city of Pudozh. It stands on the banks of the Vodla River, 25 km from its confluence with Lake Onega. You can get to Pudozh from Petrozavodsk on a comet along Lake Onega. For the first time, Pudozhskaya Sloboda was mentioned in chronicles under 1382, as a settlement on the waterway from Veliky Novgorod. to the White Sea. By the 15th century, the settlement turns into a Pudozh churchyard. Under Peter I, timber was harvested here for the construction of ships at the main shipyards of the state. In 1785, the churchyard received the status of a county town called Pudozh. By this time, several glass factories began to operate in the city, and sawmills appeared from the end of the 19th century. Most of the city buildings were built with the money of local merchants. Some examples of merchant architecture of the 19th century have survived to this day. In Pudozh, there is a local history museum named after A.F. Korableva. His collections began to form from objects collected by the history teacher Korablev. Nowadays, household items of the Pudozhans are exhibited here – samovars, spinning wheels, embroidery, irons, coins and personal documents of city residents of different classes. Museum collections are distributed among several departments: the primitive communal system on the territory of the region and the Neolithic era, the region during the period of feudalism, the region during the period of capitalism and 1918-1930. In the city, it is worth looking at the Alexander Nevsky Church. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century on the site of a 17th-century cemetery church at the expense of the city merchants. Today the temple is in a dilapidated state.
According to HANDBAGPICKS, the main attraction of the surroundings of Pudozh are the Onega petroglyphs.. They were discovered on the rocky capes of Lake Onega in 1848. From the mouth of the Vodla River to the mouth of the Chernaya River, you can see more than 1,200 ancient images that are about 6,000 years old. The main mass of petroglyphs is located on the central capes Peri Nos, Besov Nos, Karetsky Nos and Kladovets. Petroglyphs are man-made drawings carved on the rocks with a stone tool. They mainly depict birds, animals, people, boats and mysterious signs. The sizes of the figures are on average 20 cm, but there are also images up to 4 m in size. The most popular are the petroglyphs of Cape Besov Nos. It is believed that in ancient times there was a sanctuary on the cape. From him, in the western part of the cape, unique images of the “Demon”, an otter (lizard) and a burbot have been preserved. “Bes” represents an angular human figure with arms bent at the elbows and legs bent at the knees. There is a funnel in the mouth of the “Demon”, indicating that he was fed and watered. A Christian cross is embossed on top of the image, which was most likely applied in the 15th century by monks who fought against paganism.
35 km south of the mouth of the Vodla River, at the mouth of the Muromka River, not far from Lake Murom, stands the Murom Holy Dormition Monastery.. This area is very swampy, so you can get to the monastery only by water. Legend has it that the monastery was founded by Saint Lazarus in the 14th century. A Byzantine monk came to these remote lands for solitude. He suffered many troubles from local pagans, but despite this, he was still able to build the first church of the monastery – the Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus. Gradually the monastery grew, more and more monks came here. After his death, the Monk Lazarus was buried at the altar of the Church of the Nativity of John the Baptist, where his relics remain to this day. Today, on the territory of the monastery you can see the Assumption Church of 1686, the Church of the Nativity of John the Baptist of 1673, the Church of the Epiphany of the Lord of 1770, the chapel of St. Nicholas, fraternal cells, a refectory and a wooden fence. The Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus is now located on the island Kizhi is one of the main attractions of the museum-reserve.
In the north-eastern part of the Pudozh region, near Lake Vodlozero, there is a cultural and historical region with many ancient villages. The settlement of this territory began about 9 thousand years ago. Now it is part of the Vodlozersky National Park. The park was created in 1991. It covers an area of 500 thousand hectares and is one of the largest national parks in Europe. The northern part of the park is located in the Arkhangelsk region.